The government of Ghana has called on its citizens to continue to observe strictly all the preventive etiquette of COVID-19, to avoid a new wave of infections.
Speaking at a news conference in Accra on Sunday, Mr. Kwadwo Oppong Nkrumah, the Minister of Information said that the government had taken note of a new trend of COVID-19 infections in some parts of the world especially Europe, America, and Asia. Countries in some parts of Europe were seeing a rise of COVID-19 cases again after many of these countries had slowed the initial outbreak a few months ago with success.
He said that scientists had reported that countries such as France, UK, Poland, Spain, and the Netherlands, were currently with what they called a much-feared second wave, and were beginning to put measures in place to control it.
The Government of Ghana takes note of the fact that at this time our air borders are opened to flights from some of these countries thereby heightening our risk.
The minister said, “At this time, therefore, the Government of Ghana is going for strict observation of the inbound flight protocols that were outlined a few weeks ago when the airports were opened.”
He stated that to add to the strict observation of this protocol, the two-layer test approach that was currently in progress at the airports will be continued to prevent the occurrence of the second wave of the virus in the country.
He added that Ghana continued to strictly observe the development in these countries, to inform their decision to consider some travel restrictions from the places or not.
The minister of information also gave details that the approach used to manage the COVID-19 pandemic in Ghana had remained to limit the importation of the virus into the country, and manage community spread within its jurisdiction, in addition to the other part of its national strategy.
He said currently, despite the confirmation of 131 new cases of infection, the country’s active cases of COVID-19 had dropped to 477 persons. That was why the public was being encouraged to continue to observe the protocols, to ensure further reduction and eventual elimination of the virus.
He added that Ghana had so far confirmed a total of 46,353 cases of COVID-19, out of which 45,577 were treated and discharged from the various treatment and isolation facilities across the country, but 299 persons had unfortunately died from underlaying causes due to the viral infection.
Mr. Kwadwo Oppong Nkrumah said that although the development in Europe and the other parts of the world could give cause for concern, observance of protocols and the two-tier testing approval for travelers from abroad would inform on its next line of action for easing its restrictions.
Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.